Skip to main content

Ian Matthew - "Feeling This Way"


In the past, I've made the mistake of covering music I didn't really enjoy simply to please an artist, an artist's PR, or a friend. In doing so, I compromised the integrity of the website I wrote for and I did damage to my own integrity. 

So, when I started this blog, I promised myself I would not - no matter the circumstances - post/share/write about any content I did not genuinely fuck with. 

Which brings me to Ian Matthew's latest release, "Feeling This Way". 

I've had my ear on Ian's music for a while now, thanks to a connection I have with his team. And, I'll be blunt, I've never felt a real appeal to what I've heard or seen (hopefully no egos are injured in the writing of this post). 

While I recognized dude had bars, my thoughts usually went something like this: a lot of people have bars, a lot of people can rap...what's setting you out from everyone else who can string words together and flow? The worst thing an artist can do, in my opinion, is pigeonhole themselves into a box or a category - let alone a category that is already over abundant in population. 

I mean, Kendrick Lamar can rap. But he doesn't just kick dope bars with a smooth flow. He takes risks, he pushes boundaries, he creates an enigmatic presence with his entire self. Everybody knows K. Dot has bars, but he's known for way more than his lyricism. 

So, what sets you apart? 

Well, with "Feeling This Way", I finally heard something from Ian Matthew that I think showcases his versatility as an artist. The record is catchy and simple, but not in a dumbed down way - it's very well put together, juxtaposing Ian's bars with his open hearted crooning. The production is on a beautiful vibe that leaves me floating, and I really enjoy the guitar on the outro. From start to finish, I really found myself feeling and connecting to "Feeling This Way". 

I get a sense that Ian stepped out of his "comfort" zone on "Feeling This Way" and, in doing so, he inadvertently stepped into a new lane of artistic growth and expansion.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abiyah - "Champion Plaque" (feat. Ceschi) [prod. Possible Address]

Some artists are adept at creating music that blends genres, the resulting product sounding unique in its own right. Others, like Abiyah and Ceschi , transcend past the mere blending of styles to offer up sonic manifestations that manage to  defy any sort of genre all together. Despite countless journalistic attempts to compartmentalize via labels, the music stands on its own foundation, blasting through the speakers free of any label or definitive denomination. This genre-less creative approach is strikingly evident with the Cincinnati-based artist's "Champion Plaque", a new single featuring Ceschi that was first imagined in 2015. The free-flowing delivery of vivid, picturesque storytelling from both artists acknowledges the saturation of inauthentic people permeating our daily lives. Abundant in subject matter that is relatable while also forcing listeners to take an uncomfortable look in the mirror, "Champion Plaque" is a call to action, tearing away at...

Grieves - "Beethoven"

After dropping off a visual last week, Grieves is back with yet another fresh cut in the form of "Beethoven". Grieves floats over the smooth, atmospheric production, lacing "Beethoven" with confident delivery as he demonstrates a growing sense of self-awareness. And this is saying something, as longtime listeners will recognize the already introspective nature of his extensive catalogue of music. With "Beethoven", the Seattle-based wordsmith plants his focus firmly on his own vision and craft, silencing and rising above the naysayers casting doubt on the man and his music. The record is littered with layered wordplay and substance, once again putting on display the depth of talent that exists within Grieves and the art he creates. Hopefully this string of new music is a sign that we'll be on the receiving end of a project from the Rhymesayers-representative this year, his first since the release of  Running Wild in 2017.  "Beethoven...

Aaron May - "I'm Good Luv, Enjoy"

You gotta be wary of the people who pop up  after your glow-up, especially if they're acting like they've been rocking with you for the long haul. Houston-based Aaron May chronicles this sentiment throughout "I'm Good Luv, Enjoy", an anthem for anyone looking to curve the people in their life chasing the shine. Over the course of the new record, Aaron pulls no punches as he displays the fine art of ducking and dodging the women attracted to his buzz. It's a coolheaded, poised bop that features grutty, clashing, self-produced instrumentation. The production syncs nicely with the energy of May's delivery and content, the track serving as a sonic "left on read", abundant in an imperious confidence that struts upon the fine line separating ego and self-love. "I'm Good Luv, Enjoy" is available now on all major streaming platforms. Press play below.