Skip to main content

Sam Lachow - 'Play/Pretend' [EP Stream]


I started listening to Sam Lachow back in 2012, right around the release of 5 Good Reasons, his collaborative EP with Raz Simone. It didn't take long for me to dive deep into the Seattle-based artists's previous releases and, for the duration of my previous writing stint, Lachow's music was some of my favorite to cover (peep my interview with Sam Lachow here). 

Over the years, I've thoroughly enjoyed witnessing Lachow's growth. Like any individual currently here in the physical form, however, Lachow has been faced with his fair share of personal demons - fortunately for his fans and family, the multifaceted artist has seemingly thrived through the hardships to reach a new peak of artistic and personal expression. 

After releasing a small handful of free projects, Lachow let loose the 15-track Huckleberry in 2014, his first "official" release. The album showcased the diverse nature of Sam's music, featuring both his "fun", upbeat party-oriented vibe ("Action Figures") as well as a more serious, introspective/reflective vibe ("Stolen Bikes", "King Lear"). The project also featured a number of Lachow's Seattle brethren, including Raz Simone, Ariana DeBoo, Nacho Picasso and more. Overall, I remember my expectations being met and I still spin Huckleberry every now and then. 

A couple years later, Lachow returned with Friends, Funk & Liquor. By no means is the 7-track release a subpar project - quite the contrary, it features some fun and memorable music. That being said, I was a little disappointed with Friends, Funk & Liquor. After years of listening to and relating to Sam's music, I personally felt like he wasn't living up to his potential with the 2016 release. But, in all honesty, who the fuck am I? Lachow was creating from the place he was in - and whether that was influenced by drugs or not isn't overly important. Regardless, I was certainly hoping the trajectory of Lachow's future releases would not be following the same direction as Friends, Funk & Liquor. 

And then the Black Umbrella artist returned with Play/Pretend, which serves as my favorite Lachow project to date. Praise God.

Sometimes in life, we need to hit a low to realize something needs to change and, on Lachow's own account, he woke up to realize the lifestyle he was living was not serving his highest good - in regards to his music and his life. With Play/Pretend, Lachow touches on his most personal subject matter yet, using his lyrics to paint vivid pictures of his addiction, his partying/social life, and his life in general.

I realized I've been wasting hours dying 
I mean, at least everyone loves a good downward spiral 
I forgot a lot of life because of written prescriptions 
Honestly, Macklemore inspired me to admit my addictions 
I get confidence from the liquor I pull off my shelf 
That's why it's funny when people think that I'm full of myself 

I think it's without question that Sam Lachow is baring his true self more so on Play/Pretend than any previous release thus far. Alongside his best friend Maggie Lou May, Lachow provides listeners with 5 tracks of raw, unfiltered self-analysis and reflection. Throughout the project, Lachow displays his vulnerability while also showcasing the determination and, most importantly, the love that is driving him towards self-improvement. 

Play/Pretend is my favorite Lachow project because of the highly relatable nature of the music and subject matter. At 28 years old, I feel as though I've experienced some of the shit Lachow is addressing and, I believe for most people, when music makes you go, "Oh shit, that sounds like my life" - when you can really relate to what's being presented, it intensifies the importance of the music to you. And when Lachow raps: 

19 was confusion and stress, 
20 was doing my best, 21 was boozin' and sex,
22, everyday was a weekend,
The blow kept me awake and the Xanny kept me from tweakin',
I'm thinking I was invincible, I couldn't be stressed, 
Music was poppin', I'm thinkin' this is as good as it gets, 
At 23, I didn't sleep, up making records,
At 24, I discovered depression

...Man, I could relate to that in a way I'm not sure I've ever connected to Lachow's music. And, trust me, that's saying something. But this isn't about me, it's about Sam Lachow and the highly personal Play/Pretend. As a fan, I'm grateful for Lachow's music and I'm even more grateful he - the human being and the spirit behind the music - appears to be on a very positive rise. Far too often, people give in to the darkness. Blessings on blessings, Sam Lachow sat with that darkness, reflected on it, saw the light, found some love and proceeded to recognize the love and strength that exists within him. 

After wrapping up a 50+ date tour with Rittz recently, Lachow is back on the road and finally blessing the East Coast with some live performances next month. For tickets to his Philly, New York and Boston shows, head here. 

Enjoy Play/Pretend below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abiyah - "Champion Plaque" (feat. Ceschi) [prod. Possible Address]

Some artists are adept at creating music that blends genres, the resulting product sounding unique in its own right. Others, like Abiyah and Ceschi , transcend past the mere blending of styles to offer up sonic manifestations that manage to  defy any sort of genre all together. Despite countless journalistic attempts to compartmentalize via labels, the music stands on its own foundation, blasting through the speakers free of any label or definitive denomination. This genre-less creative approach is strikingly evident with the Cincinnati-based artist's "Champion Plaque", a new single featuring Ceschi that was first imagined in 2015. The free-flowing delivery of vivid, picturesque storytelling from both artists acknowledges the saturation of inauthentic people permeating our daily lives. Abundant in subject matter that is relatable while also forcing listeners to take an uncomfortable look in the mirror, "Champion Plaque" is a call to action, tearing away at...

Grieves - "Beethoven"

After dropping off a visual last week, Grieves is back with yet another fresh cut in the form of "Beethoven". Grieves floats over the smooth, atmospheric production, lacing "Beethoven" with confident delivery as he demonstrates a growing sense of self-awareness. And this is saying something, as longtime listeners will recognize the already introspective nature of his extensive catalogue of music. With "Beethoven", the Seattle-based wordsmith plants his focus firmly on his own vision and craft, silencing and rising above the naysayers casting doubt on the man and his music. The record is littered with layered wordplay and substance, once again putting on display the depth of talent that exists within Grieves and the art he creates. Hopefully this string of new music is a sign that we'll be on the receiving end of a project from the Rhymesayers-representative this year, his first since the release of  Running Wild in 2017.  "Beethoven...

Aaron May - "I'm Good Luv, Enjoy"

You gotta be wary of the people who pop up  after your glow-up, especially if they're acting like they've been rocking with you for the long haul. Houston-based Aaron May chronicles this sentiment throughout "I'm Good Luv, Enjoy", an anthem for anyone looking to curve the people in their life chasing the shine. Over the course of the new record, Aaron pulls no punches as he displays the fine art of ducking and dodging the women attracted to his buzz. It's a coolheaded, poised bop that features grutty, clashing, self-produced instrumentation. The production syncs nicely with the energy of May's delivery and content, the track serving as a sonic "left on read", abundant in an imperious confidence that struts upon the fine line separating ego and self-love. "I'm Good Luv, Enjoy" is available now on all major streaming platforms. Press play below.