Skip to main content

Irie Lee - "Made Love"


Last night, I found myself on SoundCloud, listening to some new music as I got a little work done. What I've found over the years is that the SoundCloud sessions can be hit or miss - sometimes a gem falls into your lap and sometimes you slip down the rabbit hole of nothingness.

During my listening experience last night, my head was in the clouds and my focus was predominately on a new project I'm working on. In all honesty, the music was on for the background aesthetic; something to vibe to while I worked.

And then a record from Irie Lee started playing.

I can't recall, in recent or long-term memory, a piece of music catching my attention quite as powerfully as Lee's "Jenny" did. It was a whole vibe, his smooth flow radiating with heartfelt emotion, tugging at the strings of my own psyche as Irie told so vividly the story of "Jenny". In an instant, my entire focus was on the song - I sat up and replayed it a handful of times before realizing it would make sense to see what else Lee had available. With only seven songs posted on his page, I spent the better part of last night cycling through them, falling more and more in love with Lee's music each time a record came back on.

Eager to learn more about who Irie Lee was, I began doing a little research...and found next to nothing. He's got an Instagram and a SoundCloud, but no other socials from what I could tell. And then I hopped on Google to find some write-ups that may have been posted on other sites. Again, however, my search came up empty.

Whoever Irie Lee is, he has done a wonderful job at keeping the man behind the music private. As noted in some of his IG posts, he seems to favor anonymity over fame - an admirable quality, especially in today's "Like"-driven society. Regardless, the lack of availability of information pertaining to who Irie Lee is has certainly heightened my intrigue.

Bottom line is this guy is talented and, maybe selfishly, I want everyone I know to hear his music. For the first time in a long time, a new piece of music came to me last night that left me floored...and then every track I heard from the artist left me in awe. It might be cliche to say something like this, but I truly don't understand how Irie Lee is not a more widely known name in music.

While "Jenny" was the first track I heard and each joint from Lee left me feeling something unique, I've shared "Made Love" below.

"Made Love" is a beautifully blended piece of music that balances R&B, soul and some Latin vibes. Throughout the record, Irie Lee is flowing through the instrumentation with such smooth energy, his delivery illuminated by an authenticity that is felt by the listener. At it's essence, this is a love song, in the most raw, pure way.

"Made Love" and "Jenny" both find life on Irie Lee's Yellow Forest, which was released on December 8th. Yellow Forest is available now on all major streaming platforms, including Apple Music and Spotify. I've spent today with Yellow Forest on repeat and I would seriously suggest everyone takes some time to dive into Irie Lee's catalogue.

Maybe I just did a shitty job looking for info on this guy. But I have a feeling we'll be hearing his name quite a bit in the next year or two.

Press play on "Made Love" below.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rudy - No Time

God willing, each and every person birthed into this world will grow up. Some of us may reach an old age, some of us may be called home earlier than others - but, in some form or fashion, we all will grow older.  It's a funny thing, the way our society perceives age. In some cultures, the elders are held to the highest esteem - for they are the ones with the knowledge and experience to hold true wisdom. While many in our society praise youth and the physical beauty associated with being young, it is only through the experience of living life that one learns about the world, and in turn, has the capability to learn about their own being. And still, we tend to look down upon those who have been blessed to experience a long, full life. Perhaps it's because so many "old" people seem to live a life of regret, looking back on their youth with a mind full of "what ifs" and "should haves". While young individuals are rushing to reach maturity,

Watch Now: Aaron Cohen & Eklips in Paris (Video)

While in Paris - which appears to be one of his homes away from home at this point - Aaron Cohen bumped into Eklips outside a train station. With cameras rolling, the renowned beatboxer proceeded to drop Dipset's " Oh Boy " instrumental as Cohen does what he does best, lacing the France-based musician's rendition of the track with characteristically self-confident quotables.  Check out the off the cuff collaboration below and be on the lookout for Cohen's upcoming RED NEW YORK project. 

Xavier White - "Distance" [prod. Paul Couture] (Video)

As the weather continues to get colder and cuffing season takes full effect, Xavier White and Paul Couture come together with a little musical offering that's sure to warm up listeners with it's warm, comforting sonic vibes. "Distance" is a genre-blending record that finds a perfect balance of R&B and pop, thanks to Couture's vibrantly engrossing instrumentation and White's succoring, sultry crooning. The styles of both artists are coupled together beautifully as the song takes listeners on a teasingly seductive journey between playful lusters-turned-lovers. Directed by Alex Kouvatsos, the "Distance" music video is a captivating viewing experiencing, finding a way to be flashy while remaining simple at it's core. Backed by stimulating, striking lights, White serenades the subject matter of his lyrical content as she provocatively looks on, hearing his words yet paying him little to no direct attention. "Distance" is availa